Friday, January 15, 2010

Glucose test - earlier today

So I had to fast from 7 p.m. last night. Only water and nothing else.

Got to the lab at 8:30 a.m. and they took a vial of my blood and then I had to drink the gross orange drink (not sure what the measurement was but it said 75 on the bottle).

What I want to know is why can one ONLY have the orange one around here when there are other flavours available elsewhere? Seriously!

Anyway, so I drank the grody orange stuff and then an hour after that, they took another vial of my blood.

Then an hour after THAT they took another vial of my blood.

So according to this site: http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/glucose/test.html#what

My first test (the one hr) was this:

Gestational Diabetes Screening: Glucose Challenge Test
Sample drawn 1 hour after a 50-gram glucose drink.
Glucose Level Indication
Less than 140* mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) Normal screen
140* mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) and over Abnormal, needs OGTT*

* Some use a cutoff of 130 mg/dL (7.2 mmol/L) because that identifies 90% of women with gestational diabetes, compared to 80% identified using the threshold of 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L).

And the one today consisted of the following:

Fasting Blood Glucose
Glucose Level Indication
From 70 to 99 mg/dL (3.9 to 5.5 mmol/L) Normal fasting glucose
From 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) Impaired fasting glucose (pre-diabetes)
126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L) and above Diabetes

and

Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT)

Levels applicable except (???) during pregnancy. Sample drawn 2 hours after a 75-gram glucose drink.

Glucose Level Indication
Less than 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) Normal glucose tolerance
140 to 200 mg/dL (7.8 to 11.1 mmol/L) Impaired glucose tolerance (pre-diabetes)
Over 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) Diabetes


---

I *almost* threw up (twice) at the lab - but I managed to contain myself.

After it was all done, I came home and THEN I puked... also, my arm is sore, I feel extra tired and just a lil loopy.

*sigh*

Send good vibes because I don't want to have GD.

No comments:

Post a Comment